The Health Benefits of Rainwater for Pets
by Robert Lee
For pet owners looking for a pure, natural water source, collecting rainfall is a wise option. Rainwater offers advantages when used for drinking, bathing, and overall health maintenance in dogs, cats, and other domestic animals. This chemical-free liquid supports pets’ wellbeing.
Why Choose Rainwater?
Municipal water contains traces of chlorine, fluoride, and heavy metals from treatment and pipe corrosion. Groundwater picks up contaminants from soil and rock layers. But the condensation and distillation process that forms rain naturally filters water in the atmosphere. Rain descends as a clean, mineral-balanced liquid ideal for pets.
Rainwater Ideal for Drinking
Fresh rainwater provides pets with a pleasant-tasting, contaminant-free drinking source. Here’s how it benefits health:
- Purity – Rain filters through air, avoiding pollutants from pipes and groundwater. This removes microbes, organic waste, pesticides, medications, hormones, and heavy metals that municipal or well water can contain. The purity prevents many illnesses.
- Digestibility – Rain lacks chlorine and fluoride from tap water treatment. These compounds may irritate some pets’ stomachs and intestines, causing upset or excessive thirst. Rainwater’s natural purity makes it easy to digest.
- Mineral content – Although pure, rainwater retains some beneficial minerals like calcium, magnesium, and potassium absorbed from the atmosphere. These support immune function, bone health, and metabolism without excessive hardness.
- Taste – For finicky pets who resist drinking enough, rainwater’s clean taste and lack of chlorine encourages better hydration. Keeping animals well-hydrated is crucial to kidney function and overall health.
- Dental health – Tap water frequently contains higher calcium and magnesium concentrations. In excess, these minerals leave residue on pets’ teeth after drinking. Rainwater’s low residue helps prevent plaque and dental disease.
- Weight management – Drinking more water aids pets’ weight loss efforts. The pleasant taste prompts intake, while the purity prevents bloating from excess minerals. Rainwater makes it easier for overweight pets to slim down.
Using Rainwater Externally
In addition to drinking, rainwater offers advantages when applied externally to pets’ bodies:
- Bathing – Rainwater’s purity and soft texture makes an excellent shampoo base for bathing dogs, cats, and other pets. It gently cleanses skin and fur without residue buildup.
- Skin relief – For pets with allergies and skin conditions like eczema, rainwater can provide soothing relief. Its natural purity is free of irritants that may exacerbate dry, itchy, or inflamed skin.
- Coat health – Bathing in rainwater enhances shine and texture in fur and feathers. Birds especially benefit from rinsing in rain to maintain healthy plumage. The trace minerals nourish skin and coats.
- Insect relief – Pets prone to pests like fleas and ticks may get relief from bathing in or being spritzed with rainwater. Its purity may help deter insects without harsh pesticide chemicals.
- Odor control – When used as a rinse, rainwater’s cleansing effect helps freshen pets between full baths. It reduces “doggy odor” or other smells that accumulate in fur and folds.
- Eye wash – Pure rainwater can provide a soothing wash to clean debris, pollen, or irritants from pets’ eyes. It is gentle enough for daily eye cleansing.
- Wound care – Due to its purity, rainwater is an ideal cleansing rinse for minor scrapes, cuts, hot spots, and other superficial wounds on pets. It removes debris to support healing.
Collecting Rainwater for Pets
Installing a simple system to harvest rain for pets is easy and inexpensive. Products from companies like The Water Tank Factory make rain collection accessible. Follow these tips:
- Use food-safe containers – For drinking, choose large covered buckets or tanks made from food-grade plastics. Avoid lead soldered tanks. Ensure containers are thoroughly clean before use.
- Add a roof washer – Attach a basic filter system to your downspouts to keep debris like dust and bird droppings from entering the collection tanks. Use a first flush diverter to bypass the first set of runoff.
- Limit light exposure – Prevent algae growth by keeping collection tanks out of direct sunlight. Paint or wrap opaque coverings around clear plastic tanks. Keep the lids sealed.
- Maintain clean gutters – Dirty gutters taint rooftop runoff. Regularly clear leaves and other debris from gutters to maximize water purity. Check for damaged sections.
- Clean tanks regularly – Scrub interior tank walls with a chlorine-free cleaner designed for water storage. This prevents bacterial biofilms which compromise purity.
- Avoid harsh detergents – When washing collection buckets or tanks, use mild, fragrance-free cleaners that won’t leave chemical residue. Vinegar and water works well.
- Label tanks clearly – To prevent accidental ingestion of stagnant water, label tanks with dates and contents. Consume rainwater within 2-4 weeks for maximum freshness.
- Watch for hazards – Discard rainwater from areas with air pollution, agricultural runoff, wildfires, or other potential contaminants. Monitor environmental risks.
- Check local laws – Some municipalities prohibit or restrict rainwater collection. Verify local codes before investing in a home rain harvest system.
Health Benefits of Fresh Rainwater
Using collected rainwater provides a range of health advantages:
Thepleasant taste and purity makes pets more inclined to drink. Proper hydration supports all aspects of health.
Rainwater gently cleanses skin, coats, feathers, eyes, wounds, and other areas when used externally.
The lack of chlorine, fluoride, and other additives makes rainwater easy to digest. It prevents gastric upset.
Mineral content is low enough to avoid plaque buildup yet supply needed electrolytes. Rainwater supports dental health.
Because rainwater is low in magnesium and calcium, pets absorb nutrients from food more efficiently when paired with rainwater.
For pets with seasonal, food, or skin allergies, ultra pure rainwater can help reduce itching and reactions.
Rainwater provides pets a water source free from pharmaceuticals, hormones, heavy metals, pesticides, fertilizers, and other contaminants.
The purity prevents bloating, while the taste encourages intake to support weight loss or maintenance goals.
Skin and Coat Health
Used internally and externally, rainwater enhances skin and coat moisture, luster, growth, and texture.
The lack of chlorine makes rainwater gentle for pets prone to respiratory irritation. Steam inhalation benefits airways.
Rainwater purity avoids carcinogens from water treatments. Chemical avoidance supports cancer prevention.
As the mineral content is low, rainwater supports kidneys by allowing proper hydration without overworking these organs.
Rainwater Aligns with Natural Needs
Our domestic pets descend from wild ancestors who relied on naturally occurring fresh water sources to thrive. Providing rainwater realigns pets’ water supply with the clean, additive-free liquids nature intended. It bypasses the chemical cocktails added to modern municipal water. Support wellness by reconnecting pets to the purity of rain. With smart setup, collection, and maintenance, your furry friends can enjoy all the benefits.